Author Guidelines for Journal of Midwifery Association of Nepal
Journal of Midwifery Association of Nepal (JMAN)
Journal of Midwifery Association of Nepal (JMAN) is a multispecialty peer reviewed scientific journal published annually by Midwifery society of Nepal (MIDSON) since 2018. It publishes articles on Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal and Adolescent Health (SRMNAH) on the following categories: Original Articles, Review Articles, Case Report, Perspective/Viewpoint.
The aim of JMAN is to increase visibility of scientific articles on SRMNAH in order to promote evidence based midwifery practice and its impact in Nepal and beyond.
SCOPE OF THE JOURNAL
The journal accepts scientific articles from researchers who addresses important issues related to SRMNAH through their research, perspectives/viewpoint and case studies. The journal publishes peer reviewed original research articles, review articles, case reports, perspectives/viewpoints which are solicited by the editorial board. Preference is given to original research articles conducted rigorously using scientific methodology and written clealry and concisely.
Original articles, review articles, case reports, and perspectives/viewpoint will be considered for publication only after a clear indication from author/s that the manuscript has not been submitted elsewhere for publication. All articles are evaluated by the criteria of originality and scientific content by the editorial board and peer reviewers, and preference will be given to original research articles.
All manuscripts received will be duly acknowledged. The manuscripts will be sent for blind review to two peer reviewers after an initial screening. It will be subsequently reviewed by the JMAN editors based on the comment from the reviewers. Editorial board will make a final decision on the manuscript. The contributor/s or author/s will be informed about the outcome of the review, which could be one of the followings:
- Acceptance without any changes;
- Request for minor or major changes;
Articles accepted will go through final edits for grammar, punctuation, print style and formatting based on the JMAN criteria. Final proof version will be sent to the corresponding author for approval. Non response to the proof copy may result in publication on next issue or may even get rejected from the editorial board. The editorial board reserves the right of refusing to publish articles that have been submitted. JMAN has a policy to discourage articles that have conflict of interest in terms of financial assistance or sponsorship.
Manuscripts must be written in clear, concise English, and submitted to the ‘Editorial Board’ of JMAN. Digital submission through email is required according to the guidelines issued by the journal. The manuscript should also include declaration letter duly signed. Author/s should clearly mention address along with email address and phone number/s. The manuscript should be sent to .
INSTRUCTIONS TO AUTHORS
1. Article should be written in English.
2. Focus of the article should be on Sexual, Reproductive, Maternal, Neonatal and Adolescent Health (SRMNAH), and should be one of following areas.
- Research article
- Review article
- Case reports
3. It should be written with Times New Roman, font size 12 and formatted with double line spacing.
4. Manuscript should be submitted to
5 . Referencing should be in Vancouver style.
6. Abstract should not exceed 250 words. Similalry, body of manuscript should not exceed 3000 words for original and review articles, and 1000 words for case report and perspective/view point, excluding tables, graphs and references.
Title page of the manuscript should contain:
1. Type of manuscript: Original article, Review article, Case report, Perspective/Viewpoint
2. Title of the article should be concise (reflect population/sample, variables and setting)
3. Name of the author(s): first name/middle name followed by surname.
4. The name(s) of the department(s) or institution(s) affiliated to the author(s). The affiliation should comprise the department, institution, city and nation from which the work is originated.
5. Clear marking of corresponding author- Mention the name and full mailing address (including telephone, e-mail address) of the corresponding author.
6. Word count- Please mention word count for abstract and manuscript
This should be within 250 words in a structured format, and should cover followings:
a) Background and study objective/s
b) Methods: Design, selection of setting, sampling and analysis methods
c) Results: covers major findings from the study
d) Conclusions: emphasize new body of knowledge based on study findings, and its implications.
e) Key words: Not more than 5 words and should be arranged alphabetically.
Provide a context or background for the study (i.e., what is already known and what is the gap that research is going to address). It should also include rationale of the study with citation of the relevant literature/s following Vancouver style. State the specific purpose or objective the study.
The method section should contain: Study design, duration, setting, population, sample size, sampling technique, measures, data collection and analysis. Ethical consideration should be clearly mentioned.
Results should be presented in logical sequence in the text, as well as in the tables with illustrations.
We do not accept more than five tables/illustrations in one manuscript. All tables, illustration (if any) should be numbered and labelled with sub- heading and be referred in the text. Do not repeat the information in the text and in the tables/illustration; summarize only important observations.
Emphasize the new and important aspects of the study.
Compare the findings of present study with other relevant past studies, provide explanation whether it supports your findings, if it differs give probable justification. Also, include limitation/s of your methodology briefly.
Draw conclusion from major findings of your study based on stated objective/s and state future implication of your findings.
References should be in Vancouver style. Number them consecutively in the order in which they are first mentioned in the text (not in alphabetic order).
Identify references in text, tables, and legends by Arabic numerals in superscript after the punctuation marks.
Appropriate links of the references should be provided for the verification and authentication purpose. Provide source of the references with full text links wherever applicable/available.
Add pubmed identification number and/or doi number whenever possible. Include the last names and initials of the authors, title of article, name of publications, year published, volume number, and inclusive pages. The style and punctuation of the references should conform the following examples.
1. Dangal G, Paudel BD, & Jha AK. Palliative Care in Resource-poor Settings: Inequalities, Challenges, and Opportunities. J Nepal Health Res Counc. 2017;15(37):I-II. doi:https//dx.doi.org/10.3126/jnhrc.v15u3.18837
1. Magar A, Shrestha RK, Palikhey S, Shrestha S,k, & Dhakal A. Angel`s Conscise Clinical Methods. Kathmandu: Makalu Publication; 2006.
They should be numbered (with Arabic numerals) and each table/graph/pictures should be typed on a separate sheet of paper. Number the tables, in Arabic numerals, consecutively in the order of their first citation in the text. Identify statistical measures of variations, such as standard deviation and standard error of the mean. Table heading in title case and text (body) in left alignment. Use the following symbols in sequences.
Figures should be numbered consecutively according to the order in which they have been cited in the text like table.
1. Title page contains all the desired information.
2. Manuscript is drafted according to author guidelines.
3. Contribution of author/s clearly mentioned.
4. Letter of declaration of conflict of interest, including confirmation that the mansucript has not been submitted elsewhere for consideration to publication, has been duly signed.
5. Word count confirmed the word limitation.
Presentation and format
· Font- Times New Roman
· Double spacing
· Margins 2 cm in all sides
· American English